Filed under: Bible, Blogroll, Christian, Christianity, Church, faith, God, Gospel Of John, Holy Spirit, Jesus, Life, Theology | Tags: Bible, Blogroll, Christian Life, Christianity, Church, Encouragement, faith, God, Grace, Happiness, Hope, Jesus, Life, Love, Theology
The modern system of dividing chapters and verses in the Bible was: chapters in the mid 13th century A.D. and verses in 1551 A.D.
John chapter 14 is a part of the discourse which began in John 13:33 with the expression: “Little children.”
John 14:1-6 has been referred to as the 23rd Psalm of the New Testament.
The following are some points of similarity:
1. Perfect satisfaction; John 14:1 & Psalm 23:1
2. Both tell of the Father’s House, John 14:2 & Psalm 23:6
3. Both tell of a personal fellowship with the Chief Shepherd, John 14:3 & Psalm 23:2-4
4. Both tell of the vital communion with the Lord, John 14:6 & Psalm 23:5
Seven Reasons Why The Heart Should Not Be Troubled
1. Vs 1 – “Ye believe in God,”
2. Vs 1 – “believe also in me.”
3. Vs 2 – “In my Father’s house are many mansions:” The word “house” means “home.” “mansions:” a Home, dwelling place, a residence, it has many rooms.
4. Vs 2 – “I go to prepare a place for you.
5. Vs 3 – “I will come again,”
6. Vs 3 – “where I am, there ye may be also.”
7. Vs 5 – “how can we know the way?” Jesus gives the only answer to the age-long question.
Jesus and the Father are one.
John 14:8-11 and John 10:30
The world has always sought an expression, image, likeness of Deity. This is why there are and have been pagan idols.
God did not choose an angel but a perfect man. Only the God-man can reveal to us the only true God. Hebrews 2:14-18. Verse 18, the word “succor” means: to come to the aid of; to relieve.
John 14:12: How can the Apostles do greater works than the Lord?
Answer: Not in power nor in magnitude, but in the fact that God would use them to do great things for the Lord. Their power came from God the father and the Holy Spirit who indwells the saved.
No miracle is little. Christ had healed with the hem of his garment, but Peter with his shadow Acts 5:15. The Apostle Paul used the handkerchief that had touched him, Acts 19:12.
Christ wrought miracles for two or three years in one country, but his followers wrought miracles in his name for many ages in different countries.
The Lord’s ministry was confined to Palestine but the Apostles and disciples went throughout the entire known world.
John 14:13-15, the promise and condition of prayer.
1. A condition of our praying; ask in Jesus name.
a. This honors the Lord.
b. Matthew 21:22, another condition is faith.
c. Matthew 6:14, the condition of forgiving others
d. We must obey the commandments of God 1Jo 3:22
The promise of the Comforter – John 14:16-26
The Holy Spirit appears in 15 ways in this discourse:
The word “comforter” means: intercessor, consoler, advocate.
One called along side to help. I john 2:1
He helps by interceding for us: Romans 8:26-27
He helps by guiding us into all truth: John 16:13
He helps by teaching us and bringing the things of God to our memory: John 14:26
He is the “Spirit of truth” John 14:17
Verse 16, the Holy Spirit lives in the saved forever. Verse 17; to enlighten our minds, purify our hearts, show us what we should do, and enable us to do it.
He reveals, testifies, and defends the truth as it is in Jesus.
Leave a Comment so far
Leave a comment